PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moonee Ponds International Airport(YMEN)
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2010, 22:03
QNIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gday
First memory of Essendon was silver hangars in the south eastern corner (which was cut off for the Tulla freeway) and Tiger Moths or similar flying over head, they moved to Moorabbin when that opened. I spent quite a bit of time just watching the movements, the operators then were, TAA ANA Ansett and Southern Air with Doves Just below the tower. We could get in through a hole in the timber picket fence near the reservoir, now water tanks, that was left open for the workers living to the east, at times we could walk around to the north then get into the hangars, or get the little yellow Landy and get evicted. In the mid 60’s I was introduced to the tower controllers and spent many nights watching from the tower, the radar was a round green cathode tube in a little tent. On one occasion I remember a Viscount on approach to 17 the controller advised the pilot he was increasing intensity of the runway lights, the aircraft made an abrupt change in direction, they were lined up on Bulla Road. They were great days very little security, it was just like a big family. Unfortunately those days are over.
Cheers Q