PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet pilots, your management are taking the piss now
Old 4th Mar 2010, 12:04
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No election for me Scottie, I'm a professional pilot and when I get into a job again I intend to follow the career as I was advised as a child that if you find a job that's your hobby you will never work again. I have no interest sitting in an office as BALPA general secretary (I did that when I was younger, I made what I had to fund my training and happy I made the career change) or do I feel I would be qualified to get the job. However I am entitled to pass comment or would rather I was restricted?

As I've said before it happens too often on PPRuNe that if you find fault there will always be someone who insists you provide a solution. It's not good enough to question, they feel have to be proactive too.

I was unhappy with the forwards performance during the weekends 6 nations match as I pointed out to my friends in the pub, nobody asked me to furnish the management with a new strategy and send my CV in to apply for a coaching position. However on here, you find fault, you suddenly have to be a crusader for the cause.

All I'm advocating the current leadership team need to do four things, 1st of which is look objectively and not personally at the criticism levelled, recognise that a significant number feel they are ineffective and put measures to address this, 2nd is to walk a mile in another man's shoes (a newly qualified pilot) and recognise the issues he/she faces in 2010, 3rd, combat the disintegration of the whole into separate groups with their own issues, a union works based on all pulling together for common goals, at present there isn't consistency among the CC's, some are more effective and have better relationships with management than others. Exchange of ideas, strategy and best practice could combat this easily, finally 4th, grow a pair and take on the hard issues as well as the easy, otherwise membership will dwindle in the years ahead and as will BALPA's relevance.

I have offered a number of initiatives that I feel would help their cause, goals and perception among our community. I am sure that someone in the senior management keeps an eye on the threads on here and no doubt communicates them to all at their regular meetings.

I agree the poll is not an exact science, its results depend on the honesty and integrity of those viewing the thread and that can't be monitored in the same way that someone could set up a username and post on here with an agenda.

Last edited by Dreamshiner; 4th Mar 2010 at 12:53.