PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa Pilots to ballot on strike action
Old 22nd Feb 2010, 19:33
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3miles :
You were totally wrong. What you saw were Philippinos training Maltese new staff, so that the work can stay in Europe
Perhaps you are right , but the guys I saw were in their 20s so what you claim does not make much sense. Also looking at LH technick Malta company profile on the web (*) , it indeed says : " MCAST has been instrumental in training young men and women specifically for this industry which just two years ago started, experience-wise " but does not specify which nationality those "young men and women " really are and which contract they will have. Because if they were under German contracts and salaries, the nationality issue would disappear of course.

But , as I am not in the secrets of LH management, I have indeed to rely on what I am told.
And I am also told that currently A330-340 Checks are done in the Philippines and not in Frankfurt. A friend of mine just ferried one there last month.

As to the jobs staying "in Europe" , this is indeed the main issue : Lufthansa technik maintenance staff in Germany are likely to lose their jobs for Maltese ( and probably Philippinos) guys and girls in another part of Europe ( or the world) where the salaries and social conditions are certainly lower than those of current staff in Germany.
This is the main issue.

(*) : Lufthansa Technik Malta: The Company