PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kiwi B777 burst 12 tyres in aborted takeoff at NRT
Old 17th Feb 2010, 06:18
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cjam;
So how do we stop 500hour F/O's from rejecting when the Captain has called 'continue' while at the same time recognising that in some rare situations this would indeed be the correct thing to do?
Ahhhhh aviation, gotta love it
Yep. Gotta love it.

We can build unlimited scenarios and bring individual experiences to bear on the case for doing something one way vice another. The key is in large data amounts and wide industry experience, not one's particular event. It's been said and we know that no situation is going to be fully covered and that takes us back to an important comment earlier in the thread - "decison making is what pilots are for".
Incapacitation (especially subtle incapacitation) is another situation that highlights the fact that although it would be nice to put it in a box and say "it is always the Captains decision" , that is not always the best course of action.
Not necessarily. In and of itself, I would not consider an incapacitation a reason for a reject above 100kts so what we're really talking about here is a double failure over a period of about 5 to 8 seconds (100kts to V1) which means an incapacitation in combination with a Master Warning, an engine fire/failure, an unflyable airplane, or a runway incursion. And as I pointed out in a previous post above, incapacitation is part of the reason why verbal challenge-response calls regarding speeds, etc are made during the takeoff roll.

Given the timings and probabilities involved, while possible, such a double-failure is no more an issue than other significant but extremely rare occurrences during takeoff. If these circumstances obtain, yes, it is one of those really bad days where the remaining PF uses every ounce of experience and airmanship he/she can muster.
So how do we stop 500hour F/O's from rejecting
I think that is a worrisome and very possible scenario if any pilot can reject a takeoff. Disagreements and/or confusion in the cockpit at critical times have caused numerous accidents and THAT is (in today's industry, as presently constituted), the main reason why only the captain should be responsible for the reject.