PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 16th Feb 2010, 13:19
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Romeo Kilo
It has been said that an attribute of a leader in the Royal Air Force is the ability to "handle ambiguity". Ironically, this statement in itself seems a little ambiguous. My questions are:

1) What sort of situations involve this ambiguity?
Any situation that involves choice.

2) Are there any examples?
Do you take action A which might ensure minimum risk to your own forces or action B that might minimise risk of collateral casualties but pose a higher risk to own forces. The ambiguity may arise from your orders to minimise risk to own forces whereas international law imposes a duty to avoid causing unnecessary civilian casualties.

3) What does this mean from the point of view of OASC candidates, IOT Off Cdts, and junior officers within the Royal Air Force.
One step at a time. At OASC you may be given a situation and directed to form a plan. Your plan must address all the criteria given but the criteria may include ambiguities. It is for you to identify these and make your assessment of the best course of action. There may well be no correct solution or several possible solutions.

4) Why is this attribute so important.
It will and enable you to issue unambiguous orders so that your intentions are carried out accuratly and keep you legal.