PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened after my Pilapt assessment.
Old 15th Feb 2010, 18:26
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crescentpilot,

In typical PPRUNE fashion your original post has stirred the hornets' nest due to the utter disbelief engendered in the regulars by your apparent lack of research into the state of the Aviation Industry. It is sad and regrettable that this deluge of criticism will cause you to withdraw into your shell and reject any advice that contradicts the views you have already formed. Please look through the tone of the advice and think carefully about what people are saying.

While it may sound to you like many replies to your thread are merely sour grapes, this is not the case. The marketing given to you by the flight training organisation that you visited is just that: marketing designed to extract your money. When I started my training in 2007 I heard the same warnings of imminent pilot shortages that you are now hearing. 3 years later there are more out of work pilots than ever before. Some of them are very dear friends of mine with young families.

I joined 20-odd others at CTC for a Pilapt, Group tests and an Interview a year ago. I was one of 3 who passed and were offered a place in their pool of pilots. That pool was 100 pilots then. It's common-knowledge that the pool hasn't emptied because none of CTC's customer airlines are recruiting. CTC is just one of the companies that sell dreams to young men and women while knowing full-well that those dreams would be better confined to a pipe. I'm glad I didn't jump into that expensive pool.

I have since met many apparently 'top' pilots waiting in various British Airways, CTC or other pools waiting for their chance. To say they've awoken from the dream is an understatement; it's more like the dream has turned into a nightmare. A year in the pool and their £80-100K loans are continuing to generate interest; their lack of prospects and recurrence causes headaches. Many are turning to other industries.

Time is on your side. Therefore I recommend fly_antonov's post as the fairest advice.

If, as you say, you have done your research, please consider this thread as further research. Take the advice seriously. If you want to PM me or anyone else, please go ahead and people will be more honest and helpful in private that they're likely to be in public.

Cheers,

MH152