PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are 'Icing Conditions'?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2010, 20:43
HeliComparator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Shawn, just to pick up on your point about freezing precipitation, I quite agree that flying in this stuff is a seriously bad idea, but I query whether its correct to say that no heli is cleared to fly in that stuff? There is nothing in the Eurocopter flight manuals about it (though flight in limited icing conditions is allowed with certain caveats). There used to be something in our Operations Manual prohibiting it, but its been lost along the way somewhere.

I have been asked about whether we can fly in freezing precipitation. Of course my answer is no, but I am at a loss to find written justification as to why!

So my question is, where does it specifically say that you can't fly in freezing precipitation? Or are you just taking the line that since it doesn't say you can, you can't.

I would also take the view that flight in snow or hail or ice crystal cloud is not icing conditions, provided the temperature is well below zero (if near zero, snow/hail can melt on impact and then re-freeze). In other words, if it doesn't stick it isn't icing conditions!

HC