PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2010, 00:24
bearfoil

Landroger

I discard "holes in cheese", and Occam is more like a group vote than a tedious research into cause and effect. If I could call up the spirit of Pinkman I would welcome his input relative to water/fuel/ice.

I think you envision a puddle of Water freezing at the bottom of a tank or an elbow in the transit pipe. There is always water in fuel, that is a given. In the least amount perhaps 7ppm. Depending on piping architecture, tank pressure and boost pumps, the system is engineered to preclude clogs of solid water Ice getting to the engines. From the beginning here, from Boeings chief safety pilot to posters on this thread, a theory of migratory slurry came about that was theorised to have broken off the walls of piping to flow with the current to end up at the FOHE face, where it plugged fuel flow after several seconds of full chat, a matter of collected data on the record. GE versus Pratt, Chinese versus US or Brit fuel, bowser this, sumping that, or not, and the procuring cause of the problem was?????? UNKNOWN. The theory was not duplicable, and the mandated fix involves a little closer shave to the face for the fuel tubes in the HE cannister. Evidently, Boeing and FAA are confident the fix will prevent further occurrence of quiet Trent syndrome. Since nothing in the report explains how this happens, one may ask really?

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 10th Feb 2010 at 00:48. Reason: get it right bear