PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened after my Pilapt assessment.
Old 9th Feb 2010, 20:32
EI-CON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crescentpirate,

I think I can answer you a little better as we are a similar age and I went to PTC.

First off I though PTC were very good. Ok maybe a little pricey but I think you get what you pay for. We passed everything first time and got through the course very quickly (3 weeks for CPL, 5 for MEIR) which like you is what I wanted.

Finished up last summer and said I'd give myself until Christmas applying to the airlines and after that it would be instructor rating and possibly heading to Africa. Out of liturally hundreds of CV's sent out the only one who didnt tell me I didnt have enough experience was Ryanair. I went for the interview before Xmas and got the job. Que Ryanair bashers........

So having got my contract, worked out my loan repayments ill be able to pay it back myself. I wont be living like a king but I dont want to. All I want is to be able to pay off my loan and live. I should have it paid off by the time Im 30. I dont plan on getting a mortgage, having kids, settling down etc etc before Im 30 loan or no loan so it should work out ok.

Point of interest: my sister trained as a doctor, it took her 10 years. Shes done now and 30. Shes on less now than I will be on starting in Ryanair. By the time Im 30 I should be debt free and on more money than she is currently on.

Am I robbing an experienced pilots job? I dont think so. As I said I applied to hundreds of airlines who all told me I hadnt enough experience. I think just like Ethiad, Vietnam Airlines, KAL etc are reserved for those with experience, Ryanair should be for those without. We all have to start somewhere!

Im happy with the choices ive made. Im starting my career now and I guarantee Ill have a lot more cash in my back pocket when Im 30 than all my mates who are drinking themselves stupid in college at the minute will.

Anyways thats my rant, and BTW im not going to engage in an arguement about PTC or Ryanair or anyone. Ive made my choices just like everyone else time will tell if they are right or not.