PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2010, 17:42
Kash360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon All,
Again I must apologise for not posting yesterday, having travelled for over 2200km in search for a job and not having any internet connection or power led me not to post until now.

So my dear peers, I hope you are well. And everything your doing leads you to that lucrative first job.

As posted not long ago I tried travelling to a neighbouring country (Zambia) but had car troubles which led me to return to Maun. I decided to try again as I had promised. However I called in advance advising that I would pay a
visit on Monday.

I left Maun on Sunday morning and flew to Kasane. I had then hitched hiked by car and boat and travelled a further 600km to my destination. Spent the night at backpackers which was the worst night I had spent in my life. However I was just waiting for the sun to rise so I could get to the airport. As a fellow friend of mine PM me say “It carries a certain amount of tax not being African in Africa”. So I believe everywhere I went I was being over charged. Arrived at the airport and spoke to some of the pilots who worked for operator who I went to visit directed me to the headquarters. I arrived at the office at 08:00 and after a brief discussion with one of the managers. I was told to go and speak to the CAA about licence conversion, again more tax and more money pouring out of my pockets.

Spoke to the director of CAA who was extremely pleasant and helpful. After finding out the requirements I took a taxi back to the operator’s headquarters to speak to the manager who had sent me to the CAA. However being Monday he was extremely busy and did not have the time to see me. I was told to book an appointment which I was told by the secretary would not be anytime soon. I left the office feeling as I had lost everything I had. I decided to return to the terminal to take a taxi back to the bus station. However as I was feeling I did not want to spend another 9 hours on a bus. I decided to take a flight with the operator in question. I must say that the service they provide their passengers was great.

I arrived at the destination thinking that I would have loved working for such a company. After disembarking one of the pilots had approached me, only to be the person I have been liaising with through PM. I advised him of the situation and was told to email him. I must say it is a great feeling when you go from no hope to just a glimmer. Arrived back in Kasane hoping to get a bus or a flight back to Maun however all had left for the day. This left me trying to hitch 600km ride back, but after a 2 hour wait in the baking sun, I decided to call one of the operators which was stopping in Kasane and flying back the next day. I was overwhelmed at the way they had received us and offered me to stay the night with them and transport me back. Had the best flight I have ever had on the way back from Kasane to Maun. Arrived back at Audi exhausted and got some rest. Just woken up to have a bite to eat and post to you guys, who are probably enjoying the comforts of your home?

I’m now not sure what to do, as always I find myself lost in this journey. To every door I turn I find im to late, I’m not saying a have I right to get a job because I have turned up to Africa. Im just saying I wish I had tried harder and earlier. I was not born with a right to fly, but believe you me I am trying my best maybe I just don’t have what it takes to get my first job. I’m not asking for hand outs or people to feel sorry for me. I just want to say to anyone out there training or close to finishing, it’s hard and it’s not like they promised us at flight school where we would go straight into a right hand seat of a shiny jet. It’s hard out here trying to get your first job. But don’t be afraid of the hard work. Otherwise you will lose this battle which we are fighting for. Keep your hope, beliefs, strength, determination and the rest.
We will get there one day!!

I know that sometimes I have been down and probably I am a bit now. But like I have said tomorrow is a new day. And with it comes more hope!!!

For now take care

Kash

Last edited by Kash360; 9th Feb 2010 at 18:27.