PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Lesson 1:01: How To Seriously Upset A Group Of Premium Customers
Old 6th Feb 2010, 14:19
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quote:
In that case, park at a proper gate and then tow the machine back to the remote gate.

Simple and effective, no idea why it isn't done
No, it's not simple and it certainly wouldn't be effective.

You've got a whole wave of Longhaul Flights arriving into T5 from around 0500 onwards. They've got to be unloaded, turned around ( cleaning/catering/engineering, etc) and then loaded for the next departure, the whole process taking the best part of a couple of hours... and that's with the aircraft remaining static. If you insisted on also towing off of and back onto "proper" gates you'd add at least another hour to the process, and you have the extra costs of tugs and towing crews and in addition the extra ground congestion caused by dragging a fleet of 744s and 777's around Heathrow.

I know that off Pier stands can be a right PITA. I really don't enjoy apologising for the umpteenth time when there are no busses especially when we've spent all night trying, and succeding, in engineering an on-time arrival ....I would also agree with the premise that our Premium passengers are entitled ( as in "paid for") to expeditious passage to T5A. Then again, to be fair to BA, there are plenty of other airlines and airports that also use off pier stands....and I've never ever heard anyone complain about the off pier stands used by BA and Virgin in the Carribean - must be something to do with the weather .