PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I.E.D's A solution ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2010, 16:26
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS, as it was a Military system and the Americans built it, there must be away to encode it so it can only be accessed by the Military closing the civil side down.
Yikes. You'll piss off everyone in the entire world for zero benefit. IED's do not rely upon GPS for triggering unless it was a booby trap to catch ATO moving the device to a safe area...

Radio hand helds as used on the TV for detonating IED's, I would take it the prudent use of a transmitter on Vehicles are already in use that put out a high output signal that rapidly transmits through the range of frequencies to detonate any radio controlled bombs before vehicles approach them.
Ok, so you want to randomly detonate IED's regardless of the potential for collateral damage. Flies in the face of western policy - won't happen.
For vehicle actuated pressure devices, I see what is said about flails, but why not have to sprung arms out front carrying two or four normal wheels that would detonate a device forward of the lead vehicle,
I'll lay out more explosive that will overcome the additional distance to the target. You will make your arms longer, I will make my IED bigger... Eventually you won't be able to drive your vehicle.
or better still build a vehicle where all the wheels were on out riggers as such with the main body of the vehicle being mounted like a separate pod between them. does that make sense?
Nice employment opportunity here... widening all the roads and tracks in Afghanistan. Pretty soon they will have a whole new system of 60 goat highways...

Try to imagine a bad dream where, no matter what cunning device you contrive, your adversary defeats it in short order and another small piece of you is painfully cut off.