PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2010, 16:04
Kash360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening All,
Not been a good night for me, was lay in bed scratching my hand all night. Then waking up to notice that my hand had ballooned up, but still went into the airport and saw the operators to show face. One of the operators noticed my hand and advised that I should go and see a doctor immediately, it turned out that I had been bitten multiple times by a poisonous spider. So not feeling my best today, been injected and pilled up to the rim.

Anyway I hope you are all well and good, sitting comfortably in front of your computers reading this post. From your replies after posting yesterday I notice a general feeling that I should stay here longer because I have only been here a month. And a month doesn’t mean anything in our industry.
I could not agree with you more, but please here me out. On the end of the day you are my seniors and I have complete respect for all of you. And I would never rule out anyone’s advice, because I wasn’t born with all the knowledge I require.
I just want to say that “yes” I have only been here for five weeks and it means nothing but what would you do with the information I’m about to share with you.
As you know I never mention companies or people on this thread so I will keep it that way.
Operator 1 Hired 2 people
Operator2 Hired 3 People
Operator3 Hired 2 people
Operator4 Hired 2 people
Operator5 Hired 2 people
Operator6 Hired 2 people
More than a few were hired from outside of Maun, there is 1 more position left in Maun. However I spoke to the person in charge of one of the operators who will be hiring one more but it will be filled by a local pilot. The pilots who were hired from Maun were here for a minimum of 2 months.
I can’t take any other kind of work to tie me over here, because I will never be given a work permit as there are local people who can do the same job. May that be bar work, ramp or any other?
I agree that I will be spending more money back at home than I would be staying here. However at least at home I would have the slightest chance to go back into engineering. And then this will help fund my next journey.
I will be travelling again to one of the neighbouring countries on Sunday/Monday to go and speak to an operator. I’m won’t be going to Namibia as there are 3 people waiting for jobs here who have just come from there and were told minimum 500 hours and fluent German language. I have also confirmed this by calling the operators.
I’m would like to apologise to you all if you think I’m letting you down. Honestly I think I’m letting myself down too. However this is not the end of my journey. I will go home save some more money and find a new spot to pitch my tent.
I know I have always had your support on this thread and through my PM. And honestly thank you so much for it because I think I would have left a while ago if weren’t for you. But this isn’t just about the money anymore it’s also about sitting here twiggling thumbs and waiting knowing that all operators have just took people on.
I will understand if you think I’m doing the wrong thing, but really tell me how you would feel with the information I have just shared with you?
As said before I will be heading up on Sunday/Monday and on every step I take there I will pray that it will be everything I hope. If not I will return home!!
Please don’t think I have given up!! Because I am far from that point yet, I’m just trying to make a decision that will allow me to fund my next trip as Maun has turned her back on me.
I will sing of roof tops till I am blue in the face, that please don’t give up your dreams. May that be flying or any other dream, the truth is without these dreams we won’t ever know what we are capable of. If you ever fall or fail please try again. I know how it feels to fall but I also know how it feels to stand up and try again.

Again thank you for your support and for everything you have all done for me. I still hope!!

Take care!!