PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 22:12
ricknorm79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What, leaving already???

Hi Kash,

Like many this is my first post but I have been reading your post with some interest and am very impressed by your bravery to go to such lengths in the pursuit of a job.

I now see that you're thinking of going home . Uhuh.... Let me give you some perspective. From what I can see, you've only been in Africa for about a month. That's nothing mate! You're looking for a job and have no experience... It's going to take time and you're going to have to be VERY persistant, particularly at this point in time. I don't think you'd be doing yourself justice by returning to the UK after only a month.

I'll put it in perpective. I work in the multimedia field (I know, different) and graduated from university with no experience in 2000, just when the 'dot coms' all crashed. I applied to about 150 jobs, without a word of response.

After about FOUR months, I started tp offer to do 'unpaid' work experience, just to get my foot in the door and do something (as well as working in a cafe).

This did land me two brief unpaid jobs which both lead to some short term paid contracts. People knew me, they saw I was keen.

After SIX months, I finally got my big break. I had to move from Australia to France to persue it, which was hard because I left my family, friend, everything I knew (I was only 21yo), as you've done. But it was the best experience of my life and has since pretty much set my career up.

What I'm getting at is that you're just at the beginning of your journey after one month!!! Keep your chin up. Find some paid work doing anything, so you can stay in Maun (the UK's going to cost you a lot more to live at). And then, maybe if in August 2010 you still haven't had ANYTHING, I think you'd have given it a fair go. Keep going brother!