PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Lesson 1:01: How To Seriously Upset A Group Of Premium Customers
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 23:55
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Registering a genuine sympathy note for CC here ... I think the destination DOES make a difference. Every job has it's boring aspects and the prospect of a more enjoyable layover will make a difference. The task must be to not let it show!

My job has some repetitive aspects to it and yesterday I had to visit two venues for two different clients and, the nature of the job means, two sets of staff at those venues. At one of them - everything is like a tail wind helping you along. At the other? The wind is only designed to be theirs and you have to find your own wind and make what you can of it!

I agree with T-T-B. The only important management lesson that I learnt in the 25+ years I was in telecommunications was to talk to the folks at the coal face. If you sit and listen, the staff will tell you what you need to hear. You just have to sift the importance and veracity of what you've heard. That's one of things you get paid for.

When a project reached completion and the engineers were installing the gear and trying to make it all work - I had no useful purpose other than making a decision if something went wrong - since all of my work was done, be it well done or not!

So I made sure that there were always packets of good quality biscuits and decent instant coffee and made the tea. Or got the take-aways on Saturday afternoon when it was all looking like a pile of poo. It really is so easy but a 'seagull manager' or one that allows himself to take seat 1A and then get off the plane in advance of everyone else? Game over.