PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2010, 14:55
fly_antonov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flight training in September 2006.

I had the choice to go integrated or modular.
My parents were ready to back me on a 85 000 euro loan.

I chose to go the safe way. Somewhere in my mind I told myself that if a 9/11 or similar situation were to happen again, I could stop anytime, anywhere. It did happen and I did stop.

There is no excuse. In 2006, the situation was not much different than it is now. There was a shortage of captains but no shortage of frozen ATPL' s. Airlines were stealing eachother' s captains but the line for fATPL' s was already endless.

Some lucky guys got hired, many of them were made redundant again recently.

Going integrated was pretty naive back then already, the cost was already 50% higher than modular and it was full time, so now way one could work to pay for the flying.

I decided to go modular up to a point where it was reasonable and decided to wait until there were reasonable chances of getting in without paying for a type-rating.

ME-IR CPL are the most expensive courses, but their advantage is that they can be done in less than 5 months, so I decided to stop and wait right before that stage.

Until now I spent roughly 15 000 Euro. Though I have no debt and my savings account is growing, I am leaning towards taking a different path and I' ve convinced myself to abandon professional flying for now.

I feel that there can be bigger challenges in aviation than to become a desperate fATPL and then just another first officer or captain for the rest of my life.

A guy I know became an industrial engineer, worked several years as technical manager for an airline and recently set-up his own business with some co-workers.
Now he' s flying his own jets (organs transport) for his own profit while his mates who went the pilot route are still waiting for their command.