PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three more airbases to close?
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 00:53
Easy Street

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
So how do the Lossie Sqns manage to train for CAS if they are so badly placed?
They do stuff at Spadeadam and along the Scottish border, which you can also do from Marham or Cottesmore. Otherwise the FACs travel into the highlands and take up residence somewhere suitable for the Lossie sqns, putting them out of reach of southern-based CAS assets.

I would have thought that at some point soon operating fast jets in the south east with airspace getting tighter
The local flying areas of Marham, Coningsby, Cottesmore and Lakenheath are indeed congested and bordered by controlled airspace. However, the point is that all these bases are within easy reach of Devon & Cornwall, Salisbury Plain, Wales, the MDAs, the Lakes, Northumberland, and all of southern Scotland. Therefore there is plenty of flexibility to go wherever the weather is suitable, and you can also go to the land forces wherever they happen to be training.

I can't vouch for Lossiemouths' flying days lost due to weather from it's 2 runways, at Kinloss it is single figures
The problem is the parachute wind limit. The common stat about how Lossie and Kinloss are "Blue" more often than anywhere else doesn't tell the whole story - they can be "Blue" and gusting 50kts, they're still weathered out as far as FJ ops are concerned. Even if the airfields are OK, the winds over the mountains can easily go out of peacetime limits, and this curtails overland training. Such occurrences are much rarer down south.

As for the geese, yes they are a hazard and we have good procedures to mitigate against them, but the more regular flying you do the better as they modify their flight paths, at the moment with erratic occasional aircraft they don't learn (well, a few did the hard way!).
Sounds like your score is Nimrod 3? - Geese 0. Unfortunately in recent history our score is Tornado 1 - Geese 1 and I'm sure nobody wants to try to regain the lead!