PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is NATS and ASTAC the only option to get into ATC?
Old 26th Jan 2010, 19:18
Scooby Don't

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A small addendum to Yahoo!'s post... In the US, they sometimes call controllers "ATCs", but in the UK it's always ATCO in civilian life. What they call NCO controllers in the RAF, I don't know, but they are just as qualified as officers for membership of GATCO...

I agree with Pat42, Standard Noise and no doubt many others; this is a demanding job and also one in which communication skills are absolutely vital. if you find an interview scary you must ask yourself whether you're truly cut out for it.

Also, the ATCO jobs within NATS are "mobile grades" - you can be posted (in theory) at the whim of the company. Hence, the large numbers of Scots in Swanwick and English types in Aberdeen. The likelihood of being posted to EGLL or EGLC is slight, so why worry about getting college training on your doorstep? In my day, we were paid something like 35p a mile in expenses for a monthly trip home from CATC, and on my course the longest trip home was 504 miles each way.

Having said the above, if you're able to overcome your fear of interviews (and assuming it isn't on account of suffering a dreadful speech impediment...) and show a little confidence, apply to NATS and do your best. You might be pleasantly surprised!