PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is NATS and ASTAC the only option to get into ATC?
Old 26th Jan 2010, 17:58
TheTiresome1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started as an Assistant with what was then the Ministry of Transport & Civil Aviation, because I didn't have the academics needed to start training as an civil ATCO. And the RAF took forever to answer letters, or get round to an interview. Back then it was 5 years as an AATC before you could be considered for "Class-toClass" promotion.

Then the RAF woke up, and after some 6 months working at Heathrow [in the old London Centre] I left civvy ATC and spent my life doing Mil ATC. That included a LOT of time in Area control at Eastern Radar [joint mil/civ] and LATCC [joint mil/civ] where I was in the old Joint Ops Room working alongside on the civil sectors. Front-line time as a controller? About 8 years Airfield and 8 years Area, I guess. Then about 8 years in Staff jobs and about 6 doing 'other things'.

Pat42 makes important points - in the RAF you're an officer first. My career eventually took me outside ATC on several occasions as I climbed the 'greasy pole' - and the change from just being an ATCO was very refreshing.
And my well-stamped RAF ATC licence would have been worthless in the civill world.
However, don't fret about Afghanistan - few RAF ATCOs are likely to go there.

What LIFE do you want to lead? Same place forever, doing basically the same job? Or go RAF and move to a new challenge every 2 1/2 years or so?

Last edited by TheTiresome1; 26th Jan 2010 at 18:12.