PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 02:10
breakfastburrito

Location: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone is zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah lobe, I see you've taken a shine to me
Please please please start a new thread to discuss pilot T&C's. I am not trying to squib an argument, just avoid severe thread drift on such a good discussion between professional pilots regarding a crucial element of the operation.
For the record, I didn't make the original assertion regarding, framer did. I just provided some numbers (as requested) to back his argument.

I sleep very well at night knowing TWO pilots will still be at the controls of every 36 seat+ commercial passenger aircraft long after I retire, & hopefully until I've gone to that great simulator session in the sky (flight attendant hell, as the joke goes).

I believe the great Donald Rumsfeld summed it up nicely:
"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. These are things we do not know we don’t know."
I would fit your airline exec's into this category. If they believe that automation is going to save them a significant amount of money at no-risk they would fit into the unconscious incompetence region of the airline business.

I'm not sure of your level of flying expertise, however if you can't see the non-trivial engineering issues involved, you best keep your thoughts to yourself and allow other to speculate on your knowledge of this subject, rather than prove it.

I suspect you already think that automation makes flying a trivial exercise that any fool can do with a few sim sessions. Do you believe that automation turns flying into an unskilled occupation? Yes or no.?