PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2010, 18:16
Kash360

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

As always hope all is well and good, just got back to base at Audi camp, back safe and sound but tired. A 12 hour car ride doesn’t really do your body any good.

I do apologise again for not posting my daily reports for the past two days. I decided to go up to see Victoria falls and like I said before following a lead in Zambia.

I left early morning on Saturday after a poor night sleep setting off at first light. A 10 hour drive up to Zimbabwe and a punctured tire finally got to the border which I thought I was going to be hassled at but surprisingly breezed though. Arrived at the backpackers pretty late and tired so after a few beers and a bite to eat got my head down in an air conditioned room with an actual BED. I had to treat myself after 20 days of bumming it in a tent.

Another early start and straight to the Vic falls. I must say I have travelled the world a few times over. But what Vic falls did to me no other place yet has come close. I have always heard other people say it takes your breath away but thought how wonderful can it really be. But honestly it does take you back. I sat on a rock and thought for hours but after a while I found myself without a single thought and at peace. I’m not saying I found God at all, I’m just saying I felt really good after a long time. But as everything goes good things must come to an end.

I had to get across to Zambia and see if I could walk around and show my face. Managed to get into Zambia pretty easy but for us British its expensive getting visa's. Got into Zambia and went to the operator’s office which was closed and was thinking just my luck. In the UK we find allot of companies still open over the weekend but I’m not in the UK. So everywhere was closed.

I decided to head to the airport in Livingstone airport and see if I can try my luck there. So with my CV's in my hand I shot straight to the airport.

After about 10 minutes of standing around I met a first officer for one of the operators who after introducing myself said that the training captain was on board and is also from Manchester. And that he will come and see me.

I was amazed at meeting the training captain on how friendly and genuinely interested he was in my ventures of finding my first job. I gave him a copy of my CV. And he did say that you have just come to the right place at the right time. But he did say I will get a response maybe not tomorrow or a month or three. But I will get a response.

I hope something does come off it. But straight back to the border and back into the Zimbabwe. Never did anything else interesting other than pretending to be a guest at 5 star hotels enjoying free perks.

Got back into the car at 6am and after a 12 hour drive and a few problems on the way got back in time to do my rounds.

Got into Maun to find 3 new guys had turned into town while we were away I believe that takes the total to 25.

I’m not too sure now if this is the right place for me now. The numbers are out the roof and many more are coming. And the operators have zero jobs going. It seems with the economic problems allot of the pilots are renewing their contracts and the operators are being cautious.

I not too sure what my next move is going to be but Zambia is asking for a 1000 hours which I don’t have and have heard that Namibia has 16 people in Windhoek. And also require pilots to speak German.

I’m not losing hope but am finding it hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Again I hope this finds you well. And as always if you have any leads on any jobs or contacts worldwide please PM me. And this is your post too so feel free to add to it.

Take care!!