PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legalities of working as a flight instructor.
Old 16th Jan 2010, 16:24
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Contracts - whether you are a self-employed 'contractor' or an employee (ie your employer handles PAYE and NI) you have a 'contract' with the club. This is either a contract of employment or a contract to provide services. If it is a contract of employment, you have a right to a written statement regarding your employment terms within 2 months of starting work. A contract to provide services should also stipulate the expectations of contractee and contractor. More here. Personally, I am a contractor and have insisted on a written contract with the club; it makes things 'neat'.

Insurance - I've also been pondered liability insurance. It seems to me that the student (third party) has entered a contract with the club and not the instructor. Therefore prime liability should lie with the club. Therefore I have some difficulty in them limiting their liability cover and then expecting individual instructors to pay for additional cover. I think I need to ponder this one a little more.

CRB - I suppose it depends how seriously your organisation takes H&S etc. I think if I had a under-age student I would want to feel confident that I was protected from unwarranted accusations. Of course, it depends whether management have the integrity required