PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2010, 15:38
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
I understand well the point that you are making, AA, and for all I know you may well be right, but what you appear to admire I'm afraid I must condemn. The Royal Air Force is not a local authority or a Quango, it is a Fighting Service. Its Leaders (and the CAS, whatever might be his day to day duties, is the senior serving officer in that Fighting Service) are responsible for a duty of care to their subordinates that they may well send to War (as now). There has been much derision in this forum of the concept of "falling on one's sword", in fact as much derision as the more inept act of "shooting oneself in one's foot". As might be seen by my stated age, I come from a far off time when the former was seen as the act of someone who couldn't in all honour remain in post. The last person so to do, that I recall, was Lord Carrington, Thatcher's Foreign Secretary, following the invasion of the Falkland Islands. No doubt he too is damned with the rhetorical "What Good does it do?". The answer IMHO is that it is less about Good and Bad but rather about Right and Wrong. There has been great wrong done by the RAF CoC, not only to these two JO's but to the Service as a whole. It is time that the RAF 'fessed up to that and set about righting that wrong. Amongst other things I consider that a great deal of falling on swords will be called for!