PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun,Namibia and Zambia it is then!!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2010, 08:36
Grum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hows it going Kash?

I did just over a month camping in the grounds of the Sedia Hotel and got lucky . . . (and got a flying job ).

Sounds to me that you are going about everything the right way. Sure read your PoH and show your eagerness to learn. It more importantly shows that you haven't traipsed in thinking that you already know everything.

Making friends with some of the folk already working there is imperative but there is a tricky balance. Maun is a pretty isolated little place with a very tight little community. People want to see that first you can adapt to life in the dust and donkeys and that you can be part of the community. Ask questions about water. That's right everyone is water mad, whether it be the comming rains or the advancing flood.

Operators also want to see if you will take to the town and stick around for awhile. I.e. they don't want you to bugger off after 1 year with your 1000 hours. They also don't want someone haranguing them for an upgrade onto the caravan so best not even ask how long it might take to move.

Most of the camps are pretty exclusive so your pax are paying top dollar. Each operator has a covetted contract with certain safari companys. They need to keep the safari company happy by providing excellent customer service and impeccable safety. When you get free rides on the aircraft try and help the pax with bags and maybe a little conversation. Politely warn them before they bash their brians out on the wing. It might be their first time in Africa (probably don't know which country they're in) and is almost certainly the first time in a small aircraft. You are pretty much the first introduction to their safari experience. So find out which companies each operator services and show an interest in the punters.

Finally your friends at home will live by their Ops manual or a quick call to the office will aide them with any problems. In the bush you need to 'make a plan'. So show possible employers that you can think for yourself and problem solve.

I feel for you man, it is one hell of an interview process. Worth it though, my Maun days were some of the best in my life. You have made friends on this thread and i'm sure the same personality has made friends in the Kalahari so you are on your way.

Good luck.