PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wings Aviation "5N-JAH" Bodies Released 20 Months After Crash!
Old 7th Jan 2010, 06:33
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think we are very far apart in factual terms. It is the approach to things that makes the difference.

If the people supposedly running Nigeria were doing things to, shall we say, European standards then we would not be having this discussion. A red marking is described as black, when, no, red is not the same as black and fair enough. Perhaps someone was looking at a black and white picture when they wrote that but who knows? That isn't what really matters though!

I have always said that aviation in Nigeria has to share the same problems that afflict Nigeria on the whole. It is not some sacred thing that stands there shiny and clean towering out of the stinking mud. That means that progress is slow and that it's often a case of "one step forward, two steps back," instead of the other way around. Anyway, you can see some good guys trying their best and even some rare success stories. The Mobil Flight Department might be taken for one such and it has been run for a long time by a local Chief Pilot.

It might be the wrong approach to overlook the sort of stuff you have brought up here. I cannot say but I think it's not what is happening in the big tent but just a side-show so that I wouldn't make such a hue and cry as this over a sloppy report about what is, after all, an unimportant accident. Now, if you wanted to look at why and how an operator of "public transport" flights tried to go VFR to a socked-in, IMC destination in the hills, that sort of question might matter a lot more than just looking at how some guys in a small airplane dinged in, as if it were just their mistake, period. That, though, is not going to happen in the Nigeria of today or I miss my bet.

Why not look into the way Arik has been set up if you really want something important to write about? (Of course after that you should get your wife to start the car for you, mornings.)

The late Jerry Agbeyagbey was a great one for flipping over flat rocks to see what came crawling out into the light. Has there come anyone to take his place? Probably not, after what happened to him.