PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Oz Firing Up
Thread: V Oz Firing Up
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2010, 03:43
Grey Nomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Jet as much as I would like to believe your statements comparing pay scales with legacy carriers like QF,unfortunately I can't. Most of the VA pilots accepted a " low cost/new world carrier wage" because of the following:

1. Overseas Captains: it was the last chance to join as an Oz based 777 operator as a DEC, sick of the sandpit, >55 year old retired ( CX ) guys with the need to top up the super fund after the GFC. Some perhaps genuinely needed a job after being screwed by SQ etc.

2. Overseas F.O's: Perhaps sick of being overseas and needed to get home, some for migration and a better and safer life for the family. Perhaps a few came from smaller domestic operators and had the need to fly internationally on a larger A/C . Most of them I imagine felt that they had a genuine chance at a quick promotion and were willing to accept the lower pay and take the risk.

3.CRFO's: Some may have been unsuccessful at obtaining a jet job or were too old to try again when another opportunity arose. Others may have thought that it may provide a good opportunity to gain some valuable experience prior to moving onto QF, CX or a middle eastern carrier as a cadet/second officer. Most I imagine also took a calculated gamble in the hope they may be promoted quickly to an F.O. position.

I can only believe most decisions to join VA were made due to desperation or a calculated gamble. It looks that mostly things have not worked out at the last chance saloon.

Last edited by Grey Nomad; 4th Jan 2010 at 05:42.