PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are there lessons to be learned today from "old" accidents
Old 21st Dec 2009, 10:23
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my favourite adages in aviation is: "Learn from the mistakes of others because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself". It is something I take quite seriously.

When I started flight training the ASD was delivered to all licence holders. I read it cover to cover and recall that it pointed the finger in no small measure at the culprit(s). Now days, the reports are not so pointed and tend to look at the multitude of reasons that an aircraft wound up in the position that it did. That is an improvement.

To give an example from a far from perfect memory, I remember the report on the BAC 1-11 that came apart in storms on a domestic flight in the USA. The cause, as stated in the ASD, was the pilots proceeded into a storm. What was overlooked in that report was that the pilots had come out of piston aircraft and were using the same technique to run a storm line. That crash led to huge modifications in the training of pilots transitioning onto jets.

However, quibbles aside, I did read the ASD avidly and I now tend to throw the FSA in the bin, often unread.