PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 20th Dec 2009, 20:51
HiFlyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pilots attempted industrial action was injuncted over the issues that they had chosen to ballot over - ours was not.

It was obtained by exploiting a legal loophole by a judge who was willing to allow, what is in essence a technicality, to push the balance of the law even further towards an employer that without conscience, was willing to use it.

The law is designed to make it as hard as possible for ordinary people to take industrial action; this ruling has made it even harder.

It stemmed from a new and far reaching interpretation around the balloting procedure; the union is required to provide British Airways a list of every single person it intends to ballot for action and then later, a further list of those who would take part in any subsequent action
I'm afraid I would lose the will to live if I went through the latest BASSA update for inaccuracies but here are just a few myths and lies that need to be put to bed, from the excerpt above.

There is no verb, to my knowledge, to injuct. So one cannot injunct, or be injuncted. It is a noun (injunction) or adjective (injunctive).

So not content with making up content, are we now making up verbs?

"A technicality?" Err no, it is the law. Are all laws technicalities then? Sorry your honour for drink driving and causing mayhem on the roads, it was just a technicality.

"The law is designed to make it as hard as possible." INCORRECT. EMPLOYMENT law is designed to make it as easy as possible and Industrial Tribunals are written in clear language so that any individual can pursue one.

"It stemmed from a new and far reaching procedure" INCORRECT. It stemmed from the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 s.227 , s226A and s.234A .

1992 - so the same ballot procedure BASSA used in 1997 and again 2007.
So not so new and far reaching.

I could go on, but WHAT IS THE POINT?.

As others have pointed out on here this Union appears to be a cult now. There is little that anyone can say or do to change the minds of the militants. Some more reasonable people have seen the light and will be unlikely to vote yes next time.

We need to start afresh. We need to get rid of this cancer that is ruining this company and has brought our once proud community into public shame.

A couple of weeks ago, my CV looked quite good with my years of BA experience and the different things I have done here. Now it is not worth the paper it is written on. And that is entirely BASSA's fault. Members of BASSA are paying for their own demise with their subscription fees. And they have achieved absolutely nothing.

If they cannot see that by now, then I'm afraid the cancer does, as stated earlier, need to be surgically removed.