PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Safety Australia magazine. A plea for plain English language
Old 10th Dec 2009, 00:54
Top_Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very (very) new to aviation in general and was a bit surprised to be receiving free reading material in the mail. I was pretty happy to be reading anything aviation-related but, to be brutally honest, the magazine was a bit meh. The close calls are alright (the writing a bit amateurish) but the stories re-enforcing regs are just bollocks. Dispassionate, bureacrat-speak which, honestly, I would start to skim but then lose interest within seconds.

Can only surmise they're incuded for legal requirements but to be part of a magazine, y'know, something people will actually read, reckon they need to be a little more human about it. These sorts of 'REMINDER: REGULATION 8008L3SS.OU812/WTFBBQ' smack of school marm scolding. What functioning adult is going to respect or adhere to that? Being reminded to do something you probably were doing anyway generally doesn't work on people with a vaguely functioning cerebral cortex.

That said, I did a bit of searching for these 'crash comics' and found a couple of excerpts;

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Downloa...son-VH-AGE.pdf
http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Downloa...5%20VH-CAO.pdf

Informative, specific, interesting and still relevant lessons abound. But, these sorts of things (minus some editorialising) are already covered in ATSB incident/crash reports available online, yeah?

The usual purpose of a digest of any sort, pre-internet, was to disseminate info like incident reports to practitioners. With reports up for easy search/download these days, that elimiinates the need to put it in a digest I'd have thought. So you take away what is probably a large chunk of the publication (please, correct me if I'm wrong as I've not seen one).

So, with the above sorts of articles removed, this probably means you're not left with much to work with. In light of the above, what do people think should be in FSA? Is it even relevant to have it at all any more? It seems a pretty light-weight publication to me and, I'm sure, to a professional pilot, would seem even less relevant. Is the professional pilot the target demographic any more? I wonder because mates who grab a copy and read it when visiting like it a lot.

Thing is, amany industry digests seem to be stuck in a bit of a web-access void where bits of them are available online but the uproar from the lack of relevence would probably pale in comparison to the scenario where the publication was stopped entirely. FSA would be better served as a web publication in its current form, I think.