PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No landing clearance on short final
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2009, 22:50
housecarl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to read that some of you understand that my question was (even if sounded stupid) was not for a normal situation. (We can remove the temp block freq from the discussion). I just think it will probably be a more interesting day for the controller having an aircraft with no radio making a go-around in his/her busy airspace not knowing exactly what the next intentions of the pilots are, (except for airports like AMS with specific local procedure) instead of an aircraft following the normal traffic flow and land. (If the runway is clear of course).
Regarding the issue if the runway is clear or not, I don't think the controller would allow anything out on the runway when there is an aircraft on short final with no com (or with com if that matters) or I'm I wrong? So this leaves us the option that something is still occupying the runway or entering without clearance, and for this occasion I think the ATC and the pilots have probably equal view of the situation.

Does it matter how far out the aircraft is on approach when losing communication? If we go as far as en-route, then you are expected to land (without a landing clearance) and not execute a go-around.