PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2009, 10:17
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m not ex CTC, so have no axe to grind (apart from thinking that flexicrew might not be a very good thing for newly qualified cadets), but I have to take issue with the claim that now is a good time to train. It’s standard flying school spiel of course, and would be laughable if there weren’t quite so many young and impressionable wannabes ready to believe it.

If anyone reading this is seriously considering splashing out £70k on flying training (whether OAA, FTE, CTC or whoever) for God’s sake don’t. Not now. The job market is at a standstill - at best, and may get even worse by the end of this winter – and jobs (real jobs) for low-houred inexperienced CPLs will be extremely scarce for some time to come. And we are talking years rather than months. And, when the market does eventually improve, airlines will instinctively look to the most recently qualified candidates, as opposed to those who passed the CPL/IR some time ago and have just about kept current with a few hours here and there.

I could introduce you to several colleagues who are currently trying to service integrated training loans of £70k plus on cabin crew salaries. While keeping current. And they are relatively fortunate, in that they at least have airline jobs, even if it is the wrong side of the flight deck door.

Please, please, see the flying school claims for what they are – marketing drivel from companies that need bums on seats and cash in the bank in order to survive. They’ll tell you whatever you want to hear to ensure you part with your hard-earned – please don’t be taken in.