PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar forces wheelchair passenger to crawl across tarmac
Old 26th Nov 2009, 15:44
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pcx
Does Jetstar charge disabled pax more than an able bodied pax to provide the level of service required by the disabled. I suspect not.

So how then can you contend that jetstar are "profiteering of the backs of disabled pax".
You don’t need to charge someone to take commercial advantage of them. The mere fact they require short turn around times but aren’t prepared to have the necessary staff to deal with stowing a disabled pax’s wheelchair at the gate saves them money over their LCC competitor that is prepared to provide it. That is what I mean by "profiteering of the backs of disabled pax". It saves them money and contributes to their bottom line.
however they do provide a service to their disabled pax that they do not need to provide an able bodied pax.
They may not need to provide it legally but on a commercial basis they would be idiots if they didn’t provide anything.
To say that this was taking away his independence is probably true to a limited point, however there are some limitations that have to be accepted when one becomes disabled for any reason.

For me to make this statement says nothing about my compassion or lack of it. It is a statement of fact.

The cold hard fact is that there are some things that disabled people can not do.
That goes without saying but it isn’t our job to make it anymore difficult with stupid rules. As a society we should be doing all we can to make daily life as accessible and straight forward as possible for these people.
His subsequent behaviour did him and his cause absolutely no credit.
Maybe to the people that were there, but the general public I doubt it. All the general public saw were the media reports which didn’t do Jetstar any favours as evident by the fact they were forced into damage control with a swift and very public apology.
However, Jetstar have set out a business model for their version of a LCC. The services that they provide are based on their model. Comparisons with other LCC's are not valid as their business model will vary from Jetstar's. The services and T&C's that they provide for the fare they charge are set out in their web site and are available from other sources.
I think the point I am trying to make is that their business model on this particular issue is flawed and should be changed.
By all means attempt to force Jetstar to change those terms and conditions if you wish. But do so in an appropriate way.
What may be inappropriate for some may be appropriate for others. Somehow I doubt that the general public see it your way. I could be wrong but I doubt it.