PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar forces wheelchair passenger to crawl across tarmac
Old 26th Nov 2009, 04:43
Boomerang_Butt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
404, I do understand that some wheelchair users do not like being 'pushed everywhere'- however as I said sometimes we can't always have things the way we want and I'm sure there are plenty of people with other health issues who do not like other policies on air travel- for example, the requirements for oxygen on board, crew being unable to accept medication for storage, and so on.

Jetstar are not the only airline and while I sympathise with the difficulties of travel it's not always possible to please everyone and the man in discussion had the choice to use a carrier who would allow him to use his chair to the gate. My issue is not with the needs of this man it's with his attack on a company that on the day did the best they knew how. They had a policy in place and it can't please everyone. Most people who travel with them are happy with it. They tried to offer him alternatives which he didn't want, what else can they do, refuse to let him travel? That would have made an ever bigger issue than the one we have here! Jetstar have agreed to review the policy, however where will it end?

Mr Fearnley wanted to travel by air, there are certain things that happen in airports and for the convenience of travelling by air most people with disabilities are wiilling to make concessions to their 'independence' by relying on others. I applaud his desire to be independant and not a burden on anyone but the reality is it's just not possible to be completely self-reliant (whether you are able-bodied or rely on a wheelchair) it's human nature, the degree of assistance we need is different but we all need help in one way or another. I just disagree with his way of going about things, that's my opinion which obviously differs from yours and let's leave it at that.