PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin G1000 Cessna C172 Load a Flight Plan FPL from SD memory card created on a PC
Old 24th Nov 2009, 20:44
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does PocketFMS compare with Navbox for VFR database accuracy

- UK / N France (about the only place I fly VFR now)

- rest of Europe

For example how good is the airport data?
The data in PocketFMS is as close to 100% accurate as anyone can claim. We have come across a number of errors in Jeppesen's database that are not in PocketFMS's database.

The data in PocketFMS is updated from the relevant AIPs, and is updated with each AIP cycle. The database also contains many non AIP entry airfields, which are updated by getting the information directly from the airfields (to avoid any errors).

The data is professionally maintained in house.

You will for example find all the VRPs all across Europe, which are not available in many other GPS systems.

You will also find all the class A airspace in the UK is included, unlike many of Garmin's portable units. (There is a whole range of other data included, such as glider site, bird sanitaries, obstacles, TRA's, HPZ's etc, all updated with each AIP update).

To put it frankly, the data in PocketFMS is professionally maintained, highly accurate, and as good as it gets.

I know you have a particular pet hate of phone numbers in the AIP being incorrect, but phone numbers are not part of the database in PocketFMS.

I hope that helps. There is a free (fully functional) 30 day trial available for download from the link that Fuji gave above if you'd like to test it out

dp