PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Air Force Club
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2009, 09:51
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duffer

RAF Club - Best Day's Pay Ever Spent
Concur with all that you say. A member since 1966, I now use the Club 2/3 times per year and thoroughly enjoy its ambience, historical connections and value for money. Hardly a visit goes by without bumping into some old mates not seen for years.

newt

I resigned last year when I got fed up paying to use the facilities once a year and subsidising those who get to use it every day!

Plenty of other hotels and clubs where you can get your head down after a reunion for less than you pay for membership of the RAF Club!!
If using the facilities once a year is by choice, then it seems a tad unreasonable to suggest that you're subsidising those that use it regularly. And as for getting your head down after a re-union; age must be wearying you. The Club is ideal for doing no such thing. Foldy, PE and others ensure that after our re-unions, getting our heads down in the Club takes place long after the official re-union has wound up - retirement to the Cowdray for far too long, followed (not long after) by an excellent breakfast in the dining room. BTW, you appear to be in resignation mode these days - no Blitz?

As for room availability and difficulty booking - hardly surprising given the numerical ratio of members to rooms. Book early, and be prepared to be disappointed if you cannot.

From what I gather elsewhere, the Club is in good order financially, and will hopefully provide me with many more hangovers and both chance and planned meetings with those old mates for years - in 'familiar' surroundings.

PS: For those in the know, I'll be supplying Black Grouse in the CB -----

Last edited by jindabyne; 24th Nov 2009 at 10:06.