PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel-Air Westwind Ditching off NLK
Old 20th Nov 2009, 23:30
puff

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
TV star Simone Jade McKinnon pregnant to hero pilot Dominic James | The Daily Telegraph

THE hero pilot who saved the lives of his five passengers including a critically-injured woman is expecting a baby with his former girlfriend, TV favourite Simone Jade McKinnon.
Dominic James, the 33-year-old former Cleo Bachelor of the Year who on Wednesday was forced to ditch his aircraft in waters off Norfolk Island, only learned of McKinnon's pregnancy shortly after they broke up.

While sources close to the expectant parents declined to comment on the relationship, McKinnon revealed this month there was no doubt the father of her child would play a role in the baby's life.

She starred in Channel 9's McLeod's Daughters and was this year nominated for a Gold Logie.

Australia's Next Top Model mentor Jonathon Pease said that James - his friend of 20 years - was taking the near-death incident "in his stride".

"When I read about the accident, I thought 'That's typical Dom.' He's the man I'd want next to me in a crisis. He's a legend," Pease said.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageToo cool: Hero pilot a magazine pin-up
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
His eligible bachelor status was also enshrined, his mate said.

"If he's not the most eligible bachelor after that, I don't know what you've got to do?"

But as his heroics were being praised yesterday, questions were being asked about how the aircraft ran out of fuel while enroute to Melbourne from Samoa.

Online aviation industry forums were rife with questions about whether the aircraft's operator Pel-Air faces sanctions by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

Industry sources were staggered that the aircraft could be left without sufficient fuel to fly to an alternative destination.

Pel-Air would not address allegations it had not met aviation regulations. "The pilot complied with the company operations manual," is all the company said in a statement.

Pel-Air also confirmed the aircraft had been equipped with seven lifejackets, even though only three passengers were able to access them in time. The group was left floating in the water, huddled around those lucky enough to be wearing lifejackets.

There were also two liferafts on board the plane, capable of carrying six people each.

The remaining lifejackets, and both liferafts, sank with the aircraft three minutes after it hit the water.

Mr James has not spoken publicly about the incident since returning to Sydney, but friends said he was taking it in his stride.

The president of the Young Variety Club, which is holding a festive fundraiser next weekend, was quick to tell organisers: "Don't worry, I'll be right to go in the Santa Fun Run".

He has used his celebrity connections in his fundraising, calling on mates like Pease, Laura Csortan and Lizzy Lovette to volunteer their time.