PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel-Air Westwind Ditching off NLK
Old 19th Nov 2009, 04:58
Tiger35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I think I would rather have attempted an on airport landing by descending on the VOR appch from a calculated VDP on the 3* appch path to below minimums to a lit runway as a last resort rather than attempt a night ditching in pitch black conditions in bad weather." - AUSSIE 027

Hey Aussie027 are you seriously suggesting that you would bust the MDA in a terrain rich environment in IMC conditions that are below the MDA and risk a CFIT into stratogranitus rather than a "controlled" contact with the water as a REAL OPTION?

Do YOU know why CASA PROHIBIT instrument approach commencement when the weather is below stated criteria?

It is to save the life of the passengers who have to sit behind pilots who are all too willing to make the type of decision that you seem so willing to not only carry out, but to encourage others to do it as well.

Yours is one of the most dangerous comments I have ever read on PPRUNE or anywhere else.

Do YOU understand that NAVIGATION TOLERANCES do not guarantee tracking over a particular piece of ground?

Do YOU understand anything about the way that Instrument Approach procedures are designed to be flown?