PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Weakest Link?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 16:48
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnage Matey!;
PJ2 - Exeng has quite a bit of experience on the A320 as well as non-FBW types. I think his comment is quite correct. Left to it's own devices the A320 would simply have carried on flying whatever trajectory the crew had set until the low speed protections guided it into whatever terrain was there. The FBW didn't save those onboard, it simply made things easier for the pilots to do it.
Thank you - I appreciate your response.

Your last comment says what I was thinking and what I intended to say.

Langewiesche's last comment, as quoted in Garner's article, and Exeng's fish & chips wrap comment regarding Langewiesche's book as described in the article, are hyperbole. Both are undeserved.

It seems as if Captain Sullenberger and Langewiesche are in agreement however, regarding the essence of the event - fbw made it easier, but would certainly not have "saved" the airplane, but that is blindingly obvious is it not? Are there those who actually believe that "the computers saved the day by 'choosing', etc"?

That's what I meant by observing that "computers/fbw" don't "choose" - Sullenberger did and I think he correctly states that many of his colleagues would have been able to do the same. I have never been a fan of making "heroes" out of those who do what they are trained to do and experienced enough to carry it off. That Captain Sullenberger is a superb spokesperson for our profession is a huge benefit at a time when such a person and such a message is greatly needed; Sully's "hero" status facilitates this but, knowing a bit about him as we now do, I strongly suspect he would be the first to admit he is under no illusions as to what happened and how, and what experience coupled with a facilitating technology is capable of.

If I have offended you through my lack of awareness of your aviation experience, Exeng, I apologize. I suspect however, that we are in agreement in re the fundamentals even though you may not like Mr. Langewiesche's work.

PJ2

BOAC;
Yes, removed the post as it was moot, and posted the above instead. Indeed, I suspect we concur on the broader issues.