PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comet and Trident at Wroughton
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2009, 15:58
Amos Keeto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I had already explained that in my previous post? Simply because (a) all aircraft, including the airliners have been lovingly restored and repainted there and there are few museums that can say that.
(b) they have large undercover viewing facilities and are well organised, with regular air shows, daily takings and shops inside all helping to fund aircraft restoration.
(c) The American Air Museum there was built with the help of a £6.5 million lottery grant, so is recognised by all as a major and important collection.

On the other hand, the Science Museum in London is free, yet their Wroughton storage facility has no facilities for making money, but tries to extort exorbitant amounts for groups to visit one hangar to compensate!
The so-called 'state of the art' Museum that was slated for Wroughton has come to nothing as the lottery grant allocation was withdrawn.The government won't put any money into it, so those aircraft will just sit there til they rot!
Okay, I agree spread museums around the country, but let's have some consistency here. We have a museum that 'can' and a museum that 'can't!