PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Qantas incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2009, 01:10
spirax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am no longer associated with the empire, so things may have changed but somehow I don't think so.

Back in the days when Ken Lewis was in charge of safety, QF published an excellent safety magazine. That got dumped about the same time he left QF and there was a 'restructure' of the then Group Safety Dept. I understand that there has been yet another 'restructure' and more experienced staff have been shown the door. Try asking any line pilots of FAs who their safety person is these days..... I would bet not many would know.

Part of any sound safety management system is a process for feedback to the troops. From what I gather this has not occurred for a number of years now.

The reason I am told that it got killed was that the PR people did not want any "dirty washing" in the public domain and this included safety material from which the staff might learn from. Maybe this lack of communication on safety matters for such a large organisation is a contributiong factor to some of the occurrences of late??? Having a safety magazne/newsletter is an essential part of having a sound safety culture. Where that culture sits now is anybody's guess!