PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2009, 15:09
regle

Johnfairr

Let's take this Icelandic coincidence a little further....Back in the 1960's and 70's when I was flying Sabena 707's down to Leopoldville, as the Belgian Congo capital was then known, we used to see quite a lot of the Air Congo Pilots who were permanently based there to fly the internal flights . They were employed by Sabena who ran "Air Congo" but, much as they tried , were never considered as being on the Brussels based Seniority list, but were purely locally engaged on seperate contracts which were very generous.

We were very friendly with most of them and I was particularly friendly with ....you have guessed it,...the only Icelandic Pilot and his Wife. He was always known as Tony Johnsson but could well have been your Father's friend . I think that you have said that it is from taped recordings that you have given us the pleasure of sharing these wonderful and poignant memories so Johnson would sound like the spelling that you have given to what must have been the same man. I had often been to their place in Leo and shared many a liquid evening with them As I recall, his Wife was the daughter of a very high Icelandic dignitary: he could have been the Mayor of Reykjavik. I can't say that I remember anything of what he used to tell us about his R.A.F. days but I do know that he served with the RAF. Small World , eh ? All the best , Reg L.