PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilatus PC-12 crash, Netherlands
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 11:44
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO none of this matters because the right for a PPL to fly a PC12 is safeguarded by the ICAO system.

Obviously a PPL can't fly 14 people on a charter - not even where single pilot single engine PT is allowed.

Also I don't think many privately owned PC12s are configured for 14 seats and actually flying 14 people. Every one I have seen (and I see a fair few) are flying 3-4 people, and more often than not if the owner is the pilot he also has an instructor or a copilot in the RHS. It's a hard lifestyle for the copilot, flying to Cannes, Malaga and other horrible places all the time, and get paid for it

I don't know the owner-pilot % for a PC12 but it will be a lot higher than for light jets which according to the dealers come in at around 2% of sales. But I suspect a good half of the owner-flown PC12s have a semi permanent copilot (CPL/IR/ retired ATP).

Risk is an individual decision. Yesterday I flew straight across the middle of the Pyrenees, FL140 and about 4000ft above the terrain. I'd say the chances of a forced landing were worse than crossing the Alps anywhere (the Alps have a lot of huge canyons) but I wasn't worried. The power setting was about 50% so low stress on the engine... and my DOC (TB20) is about 1/2 of what a twin IO540 engines plane would be costing, for virtually the same speed.