PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Navy OCS pilot candidate
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2009, 00:44
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bxample

First, decide IF you want to serve in the US military as a naval officer, then apply, make sure you will pass the flight physical and entrance tests, join. After that, it is up to the Navy's needs and your ability to be an aviator. There are simply no guarantees in life and that couldn't apply more in the military. If you pass flight screening at OCS, you will go to pilot training, that is why they have flight screening-to figure out who send on. Yes, the medical community seems to relish flunking people, but once in teh program, not so much. There has been some improvements-like allowing laser eye surgery. I'm ex-USAF, my brother is ex-Navy and his son is currently in H60 RAG training.

You can make inter-service transfers, but failing to make the grade in one service's flight school will pretty much put paid to going to other service's school. My brother trained an ex-AF pilot who transfered out of F-15s because he wanted to fly f-14s; I have known a good number of Navy pilots in the AF. Besides the Navy trains the Marines, so no dice there.

Reserve officer is merely a bureaucratic issue, no one gets a regular commission until the 0-4 level. Don't worry about it.

Good luck, it's great if you can join.

GF