PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair TR Funding
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 19:51
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flintstone, I think you're an interesting guy and I'm jealous of your career in many more ways than you realise. Your stance vis-a-vis SSTR is honourable and perfectly understandable. Unfortunately the world isn't honourable or correct. It's dog eat dog right now and no amount of luck or sentimentality can change that. I was speaking to a very good friend this afternoon (flies the 767 in the UK) and he pointed out that I am damn lucky to be getting a job in the current climate. No experience pilots I have met have said any different even though all know Ryanair's faults.

However Flintstone, my main point is that I think you make an unfair assumption about the type of people who join Ryanair. Of the half dozen I know, none are the 'Wunderkind' type you describe. I'm certainly not and I'd say you've misjudged the average Ryanair intake. The Ryanair pilots I know are generally from diverse backgrounds and have worked hard to be in the position they're in.

As for me, I'm a 30-something with a previous, interesting career, a desire to start a family as soon as is feasible (i.e. another 2 years on a low income isn't a go-er), an extended family spread around the continents and a youth spent abroad, plenty of hilarious and unusual stories to tell a bored Captain on the flightdeck. If you ever get lucky enough to share a cockpit with me you'll have a good time, honest .

Your comments might be better placed on the CTC, Cabair or OAA threads, not that some very nice people don't qualify out of those places!