PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair TR Funding
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2009, 08:08
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Since I was accused of having it comparatively easy...

I finished my CPL in 1991. There was a recession. Had to wait 3 years for my first full time job. Instructed part time on the weekends waiting for the market to improve.

In a population of 22 million, a couple of hundred applications is the same as a couple of thousand "over here". There are more jobs in Europe/UK than there are in Australia/New Zealand, esp jet jobs.

I got my JAA ATPL in 2001/2002. In fact I was in an ATPL theory class in Coventry when the WTC were attacked. Yes, another recession..

My timing's been lousy.

Where did I say it was easy? We have been accused of "not understanding". We do understand, we've been there and we know that it does improve.

Market rates for simulators change. What CAE & Alteon etc will charge an individual is different to what they charge a company. Also, if a company pays for your rating, the instructor is paid by the company and you'll be paid to train.

What we also know is that not every one who graduates with a CPL will get a job. That's something the flight schools do not tell you.

If you want to go the Ryanair* route, go for it, just read the contract very closely, get it scrutinised by an lawyer so you know exactly what you are getting yourself into (tax, NI, base location and transfers, hotac, stby, sim etc). Don't be blinded by the shiny jet.

And as I posted earlier, don't go broke "living the dream".

Good luck

* or any other company that charges for a type rating and hires you as a contractor, not as an employee.