PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you a stewardess or a flight attendant? Young or aged? Discuss the article below
Old 16th Oct 2009, 07:27
CBR_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reality is lost on them

I've come to the conclusion that the problem hostie's have today is a lack of respect for the role they are employed to fulfil. Unfortunately it is generally only crew that watch the re-runs of Aircrash Investigations and like-minded shows, rather than the general public. The general public unfortunately these days, treat air travel like all other forms of public transport. They seem to be oblivious (i think it is more likely they are afraid to think about) to what can go wrong at 40,000 ft and the limited options available if things do go wrong. They don't realise the extensive training we do for all types of emergencies - medical and mechanical - and really just see us as someone who serves them food and beverages. It is amazing how their perspective changes when they happen to be on a flight when something goes wrong - lo and behold, all of a sudden we are their best friend! Okay, things generally don't go wrong most of the time but when they do - and most of us who fly have experienced something or many things during our careers - the passengers are relying on us to save their butts (in addition to the pilots up the front who are also under the pump these days). It would be nice if our passengers considered this more often. Most crew i know are dedicated, hard-working, friendly people who do their best to be everything to all passengers and the flying public seem often to forget there is an aircraft full of people all wanting the same attention as them!!