PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you a stewardess or a flight attendant? Young or aged? Discuss the article below
Old 15th Oct 2009, 14:42
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procedures differ per airline.
With us, after masks come down:
  • Demonstratively don nearest mask & sit down
  • Expect sudden descent to ībreathableīlevel
  • On command from cockpit īCC & pax take masks offī grab nearest O2 bottle/use residual O2 from system and revive pax as needed.
  • On command īCC & pax keep masks onī sling self to nearest O2 bottle by breathing from extra masks hanging down at outer seat rows. Don bottle-mask, move through cabin and put masks on pax who havenīt done so.

As for the article above.
Saw it last week just before I left for Tokyo. Thought it a piece of sexist cr@p, but reckoned it would provoke various interesting reactions.

Harking back to the days when men were men and women were grateful will always play well with a certain type of people.
And who can honestly say that they prefer a fat old grumpy FA to a young slim smiley stewardess?

Of course in real life, that is not the choice we face. Thereīs fat young grumpy CC, and thereīs slim smiley old biddies.
What the person writing the article doesnīt mention is the price paid by the women of that era, (or even right now in some areas of the world) for the men of that era having airborne eye-candy waiting on them.
Women valued for their looks only, women not allowed to marry or get children unless the wanna lose the job, women treated like second class citizens with no pension rights and no respect for the job they do.
Be attractive, allow yourself to be treated like a sex-object, and serve the men with a smile always.
A steep price, and I am grateful I live now and in the West, thereby largely avoiding having to pay that price.

To my mind, a stewardess (thatīs what we call ourselves where I work) should be strong as an ox, friendly, caring, good at SEPs and crowd control, be slim enough to squeeze past a cart in the aisle and look well turned out.
Looking as nice as you can goes with the job. As does serving food & drinks, cleaning up vomit, knowing how to deal & converse with bikers & royalty and everything in between, speaking a few languages, being willing and able to look after the sick and the scared, being able to diffuse potential aggression incidents and knowing how to slap handcuffs on a berserk passenger without breaking a fingernail.

I also feel that I personally, soon to become 52, have passed my optimum sell-by date as an FA. I can still do the job, and in many ways do it better now than I did at at 30 and 40. Yet the specter of using my trolley as a Zimmer frame haunts me, and the thought of having to fly until or currently mandated pension age of 60 actually scares me.
But itīs what I do, it pays me a good wage and Iīd be daft to give it up from a financial point of view.

I donīt feel that somebody like me, who could easily be a granny, fits the mold for this job. But maybe that feeling just stems from a lifetime of hearing and reading comments like the ones in this article? And from fearing that itīs what pax think when they see me?

Hmm, definitely needs more thinking this.

Interesting discussion, thanks for starting it amostcivilpilot