PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you a stewardess or a flight attendant? Young or aged? Discuss the article below
Old 12th Oct 2009, 23:37
HighHeeled-FA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

I found this article a little bit demeaning and I found the replies to be what you would expect. However let me stir the pot slightly and add a little bit of controverisal balance!

Without doubt, this article expressed views in a very alpha-male chauvanistic way. But let me ask my fellow 'stewardesses' out there something:

When you first toyed with the idea about being a 'stewardess' (or whatever you want to call it) when you were 8 or even 18, can you honestly say hand on heart that you didn't picture yourself looking like the models on the Virgin Advert? Did you really not imagine marrying a handsome pilot? Did you really not imagine yourself wearing the highest heels and tightest skirt whilst serving coffee? Did you really not imagine walking through the terminal with all eyes looking at you-whether it be male or female? I doubt it.

Now of course we were given those images/ideolgies wehen we were young, via magazines, films, or articles such as the one above with those type of pictures. Is it wrong? yes! But the point is that is the way it has always been and advertised. Glamour was there in the 50s/60s and just because the world has become a little more politically correct, I don't think we should look in disgust at the fat balding business men who still expect us to look like the women in the pictures in the article. They do pay our wages.

The article is writen in a controversial way. It could have been written nicer but obviously that was not the intention. But I do agree with the concept of what the writer is saying - he just wants to see a little bit more glamour in the air. And I agree with this.

Sorry guys. I hope I haven't taken the female population back 100 years but if you remove the obvious 'blokey' way the article was written, you will see a level of expectation from the writer that is perfectly understandable. For those that disagree, well I'm sure Nando's or Harvester have job vacancies. And you get home that night to see your families.