PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Bombs gone"
Thread: "Bombs gone"
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2009, 10:06
Data-Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scientists!

Does an "Oh Golly" count. It was voiced by a scientist at a frequency that could have cracked glass, as he watched his plan go awry.

Spurred on by a wealth of 1944 aged war-shot Mk11 depth charges in the late 80s, the task was apparently simple. Drop a series of 'cans' throughout the release envelope while timing the drop, water entry and detonation. The aircrew really did not know why but we had observations about casings breaking up and limited confidence about fusing. This was resolved by selecting a senior crew and fusing for 'shallow'. Armed with two scientists, each with a very smart stopwatch, a goon suit and the loyal support of a ship's flight who became expert at reloading, this event proceeded until the boffins became agitated at not being able to sight definite water entry. It was only a small can slipping into an expanse of Lyme Bay. The reluctant agreement from this was: at 'bomb gone', the Lynx was to enter a rapid, right descending turn back towards the weapon and thus allowing the boffin to see water entry more clearly. The theory was that 125' (min height for release I think) should still have been above any snags with the weapon.

Yes, I know it is obvious now, but we pressed on. The manouevre worked rather well and gave the idiot pilot (me) something more interesting to do. The premature termination of the task came when the Lynx going down got far too close to the water plume (and whatever else) coming up from the Mk11 that had rather impressively exploded on the surface. Other things were said but the "Oh Golly" was foremost.

My memory says 'Bloody Scientists' but my pen signed the F700.

Last edited by Data-Lynx; 11th Oct 2009 at 10:51. Reason: spell-thingy