PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 crash at Humberside yesterday afternoon
Old 30th Sep 2009, 20:18
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is something lacking in the training
To be fair to him, I was once practicing instrument approaches while VFR - i.e. "no seperation service".....

I was vectored in behind an airbus on a nice still day, and was warned "caution wake turbulence". Yea yea I thought, then all of a sudden the aircraft started rolling right....I had full left aileron on and was still rolling right.....so I started putting in left boot on the rudder...and was still rolling right. Suddenly my mate in the RHS who was a 000'hr pilot clicked, grabbed control, wacked on full power and pulled up. As soon as we were out of the vortex, no problem.

It was wierd because it caught me totally by surprise. The airframe started shuddering and rolling very fast and I'm thinking to myself "what the heck is going on, has something broken...**** we're at 1500'...."....This all happened very quickly, and I certainly learned about flying from that and now have a very great respect for wake turbulence since. I was lucky, I was flying an ILS at 100ks. I hate to think what would have happened has I been at a final approach speed.